InterpretAmerica provides a national and international forum for the interpreting profession.
Our mission is to help raise the profile of interpreting.
InterpretAmerica Celebrates Barry Olsen's
New Role in the Profession
MAY 20, 2020
Today we announce that InterpretAmerica co-founder Barry Slaughter Olsen will be stepping down as co-president to join the executive team at KUDO Inc., a cloud-based collaboration platform that enables web meetings and live conferences with real-time multilingual language interpretation.
Read the latest InterpretAmerica blog post for complete details!
In July 2020, the focus is on the California Senate. Take action now til the end of the month!
Last month, Representative Lorena Gonzalez, the author of California's AB5 law, stated on the floor of the State Assembly that the issue of finding a solution for interpreters had to be addressed in proposed Assembly Bill 1850.
The place it can be amended is in the California Senate. NOW is the time to write your California State Senator and ask that the language in the bill be amended to include interpreters so that it reads: "professional translators AND interpreters."
How? Follow these simple steps and make your opinion known to your Senator and his or her staff.
1. CALL and EMAIL YOUR Senator NOW. Ask for a Zoom meeting, a phone call, FaceTime, whatever it takes:
2. To FIND your Senator, use THIS: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
3. OR find the roster of all 40 senators at: https://www.senate.ca.gov/senators
4. Then email or call. Their email will follow this template:
5. Their phone number will follow this template: 916-651-40XX. (The last 2 digits are your Senate District number, from 01 to 40.)
6. Ask them to amend AB 1850 so that it says: "professional translators and interpreters."
You can download and print handouts to share with your Senator here:
Protect our professional livelihoods AND the people we serve. Make YOUR voice heard!